Monday, October 22, 2012

Citizen Scientist

Maybe it's my inner astrogeek, but I love space. I have since I was young and my Dad bought me my first telescope. And I think Galaxy Zoo is awesome. I thought it was a lot of fun. I saw some seriously cool galaxies that I had never seen before. And I think it is so awesome that a normal person like me can have the opportunity to contribute to one of my favorite fields.

I think this and the other Zooniverse projects are great ways to get normal people involved in the classification of things like this. It allows for the mundane and tedious work that scientists would have to do to be done by the average Joe who might find it a lot more interesting and cool. I imagine after seeing your 10,000th smooth, round galaxy, it wouldn't be as cool anymore. Where as when I was on Galaxy Zoo, I was excited to get through those galaxies to the really really awesome ones. And those boring ones were still pretty cool too, since that's not something I get to see every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment